Police Department
Town of Hollywood
Phone: 256-259-4845
HomeMayor/Current EventsCourtPolice Department

We're the Real Hollywood
​Welcome to our site! We hope you enjoy reading about the history of our great town!

On December 15, 1821, the Alabama Legislature incorporated 60 acres in Bellefonte. Six years later, the Legislature extended Bellefonte's corporate limits to include 100 acres of land donated to the county by Carter and Higgins.

Bellefonte was selected as Jackson County's first permanent seat of justice and a two-story, brick courthouse was erected in 1828. At the time the town had a population of 200 people. The courthouse was constructed in 1828, the town contained 6 mercantile stores, a drugstore, a blacksmith shop, a tavern, a church a Masonic hall and an academy

Before the courthouse was completed, the community selected a location for a cemetery. The highest elevation in Bellefonte's 
corporate limits was chosen as the town's burial place. The earliest inscribed marker in Bellefonte Cemetery bears the date 
1826.



The Civil War exacted a heavy toll on Bellefonte. The Federal Army burned the courthouse and the town never recovered. The town square was sold at public auction in 1878. Only the Bellefonte Cemetery remains of the bustling river port town which was Jackson County's seat of justice from 1828 until November 1868. 

A 1936 TVA Survey identified 229 grave plots and 57 inscribed markers in the cemetery. Recent surveys of the cemetery show many graves with plain limestone rocks and numerous unmarked graves.



                                                                    The Jackson County Historical Association began efforts to preserve the Bellefonte Cemetery in 2005. They                                                                                        placed the marker here to honor those individuals who established the 19th centure town of Bellefonte, Alabama.







The Alabama Historical Commission listed the Bellefonte Cemetery in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register in 2006.










​The old Martin Inn, built and operated by                        The Chimney is all that remains of                             Old Bellefonte House
Daniel McNair Martin, was located on the                       the old Martin Inn.
courthouse square

More information on the Bellefonte area can be found here. http://bellsouthpwp2.net/p/u/publicw/bellefonte1986.htm




Hollywood was established as "Samples" on December 14, 1883 and became Hollywood, May 13, 1887. The town was incorporated May 24, 1897, and held it's first election June 8 of that year. At that time J. C. Mungo was elected Intendant. 





                                                             In the late 1970's TVA selected the Hollywood area to build their Bellefonte Nuclear site. Construction halted in the                                                             1980's.Currently TVA is working to finish the Bellefonte project and the Town is excited about this partnership. 






In 1994 Hollywood California tried to trademark the name Hollywood, a federal judge 
blocked this action and named Hollywood Alabama as the original Hollywood which 
is why our water tower bares the saying "We're the Real Hollywood.



2013 The construction is complete on the city park

Hollywood is a great place to live and work, and is a community rich in history. Currently we have vacancies in 2 industrial parks which we would like to see new business' and  organizations choose Hollywood as their home. 

We hope you visit our site often and look forward to your input. 

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................